Re-register to Vote
When you need to register to vote again
You must re-register to vote if you:
- change your name (or if you would like to have your name match your driver’s license)
- change your address
- want to change your political affiliation
How do you re-register?
- Online at registertovote.ca.gov.
- Pick up a Voter Registration Form from a library, post office or City (or Town) Hall.
- Call the Registration & Elections Division to request a Voter Registration Form mailed to you.
When you re-register to vote, your new voter information will be merged with your previous voter information (such as which elections you voted in) in our records.
You can find information about what each political party stands for, and what the no party preference selection means, at the California Secretary of State’s website. You can also learn more about the political parties from the Easy Voter Guide Fast Facts – How to Choose a Political Party. The Easy Voter Guide is produced by the the League of Women Voters® of California Education Fund and the California State Library.
If you need further assistance with completing the Voter Registration Form, please call the Registration & Elections Division at 650.312.5222. You can select English, Spanish or Chinese when you call. We can speak with you in more than 200 languages via a telephone interpreter service.
Assistance at the Secretary of State’s office is also available in the following languages at the following toll-free phone numbers: