The San Mateo County Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder’s Office, Clerk Division is a designated United States Department of State Passport Acceptance Office.
Location and Hours
The San Mateo County Clerk Passport Acceptance Facility is located at:
555 County Center, 1st Floor
Redwood City, CA 94063
650.363.4000 (ext 6063)
Passport applications are accepted Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. only excluding holidays. No appointments are offered. Metered parking is available on the first floor of the County parking structure and on the surrounding streets.
Passport Services Provided at this Location
- First-time passport applicant
- Renewals for adults who were issued a passport as a minor
- Renewals for minors
- Renewals for expired passport books issued more than 15 years ago
- Lost or stolen passport books or cards
Note – both of these ‘renewals’ are considered new Passport applications. Use form DS-11, available here.
Preparing for Your Visit
- DS-11 form completed in black ink. The form must be completed prior to your visit.
- Previous passport, if you have one.
- Your checkbook or money order (cash or credit card not accepted for payment to the U.S. Department of State) for the passport fee.
- Cash, check made out to San Mateo County Clerk or credit card for payment of the passport execution fee.
- Evidence of Citizenship, visit the Department of State website for a list of acceptable documents.
- Current and valid identification for adult applicant and for parents of a minor applicant. For 16 and 17 years old without identification of his/her own, applicant must apply with at least one parent to identify them and must also sign the application in presence of the Acceptance Agent.
- One passport photo. This office does not offer passport photos.
Note – all applicants, including children must be present when applying for a U.S. Passport.
Fees for New U.S. Passport Books
Use Form DS-11, available here. Passport book and card application fees are payable by check or money order made payable to the U.S. Department of State. The fee schedule is as follows:
|Form DS-11 Applicants 16 years and above||$110.00|
|Form DS-11 Applicants under 16 years of age||$ 80.00|
|Expedite Fee||$ 60.00|
|1-2 day delivery service fee||$ 17.13|
Fees for New U.S. Passport Cards
Effective February 1, 2008, customers now have the option to apply for a Passport Book, a Passport Card or both. The Passport Card may only be used for land and sea travel between the United States, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. The Passport Card provides a less expensive, smaller, and more convenient alternative to those who travel to these destinations.
Passport Card application fees are payable by check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State. The fees schedule is as follows:
|Form DS-11 Applicants 16 years and above:||$30.00|
|Form DS-11 Applicants under 16 years of age||$15.00|
|Overnight Delivery not available for passport cards|
Passport Execution Fees
Passport execution fees are payable by cash, check, or credit card against a USA bank to the San Mateo County Clerk.
|Execution fee||$35.00 per applicant|
Passport Renewal Forms and Fees
The San Mateo County Clerk does not process renewal forms. The renewal forms are available in this office for the public’s convenience. When eligible for renewal, the applicant must mail the renewal form directly to the National Passport Center. Fees are payable by check or money order to the U.S. Department of State. Forms can be downloaded at www.travel.state.gov
Passports for Children under the Age of 16
Effective February 1, 2004, all applicants, including children must be present when applying for a U.S. Passport.
Both parents must be present and show identification when applying for their child’s passport if the child is under the age of 16. Effective November 1, 2004, if one parent cannot be present when applying for their child¹s passport, his/her consent must be notarized on either the “Statement of Consent” form (DS-3053). Passport Acceptance Service agents will not be able to process U.S. Passport Applications unless this document is notarized. Please see the State Department website for more specifics on applying for passports for children under the age of 16.
Separate passport applications and fees are required for each child for which a passport is being applied.
Routine and Expedited Service
Routine Service: The processing of routine applications will be completed in approximately 4-6 weeks from the time the application is received.
Expedited Service: The processing of expedited application requests takes about 2-3 week. This service costs an additional $60.00 in passport book and/or card fee.
Photos are not available in the Clerk offices. You must bring the required passport photos with you.