Business Personal Property


Business Personal Property

The Assessor sets the value of the tangible assets possessed by more than 15,000 businesses operating in San Mateo County, thereby establishing their taxable value. The Assessor also sets the value of 4,000 boats and 400 private aircraft owned here.

Private citizens get answers to questions about their property from the Assessor. These include how to file business personal property statements and, through the County Clerk, how to file fictitious business name statements.

Type of Business Personal Property

Business Personal Property

Unlike real property, business personal property is reappraised annually. If you own taxable personal property that has an aggregate cost of $100,000 or more on January 1, you must file a property statement by April 1 detailing costs of all supplies, equipment, fixtures, improvements, land improvements, and land as well as other information requested on the form at each location you own. For owners with an aggregate cost of less than $100,000, the Assessor may request that a statement be filed.

Small business owners may be exempt from personal property tax assessment in San Mateo County if their personal property is valued at $5,000 or less. However, they are still required to file a statement if requested by the Assessor. For more information, call 650.363.4501. 

Boat/Vessel and Aircraft Assessments 

Boats and airplanes are taxable and are appraised annually at a value determined by reviewing the purchase price and the sales of comparable boats and airplanes. Information on their location and ownership is obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Federal Aviation Administration and on-site inspections. For more information, call 650.363.4501.


Business, Boat & Aircraft Owner Assessment Information

Information for Business, Airplane and Boat Owners

Most people know about paying property tax on the real estate that they own. However, not all business, airplane and boat owners are aware of how the Revenue and Taxation Code statutes affect them. Let’s take a look at what we mean.


Request Change of Address

For Secured or Unsecured Property Tax

Download an address change form

Complete the form and return it to the Assessor via mail, fax or email.


Mark Church Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder
555 County Center, 3rd Floor
Redwood City, CA 94063

Fax: 650.599.7435



Assessment Appeals

When a property owner disagrees with the Assessor on the value on which an assessment is based, he or she should contact the Assessor’s Division within 15 days of receiving the assessment notice. If a reduction in value is proper, the Assessor will adjust the value.

The Assessor also may conclude that a reduction in value is not warranted. The property owner is entitled to appeal that decision to the Assessment Appeals Board.